L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

UC Irvine students accused of disrupting Israeli ambassador 'caught red-handed,' O.C. deputy district attorney says

April 16, 2011 |  8:10 am

Irvine 11

Orange County prosecutors filed a motion Friday that would to release grand jury transcripts involving a group of university student activists charged with disturbing an Israeli ambassador's speech last year at UC Irvine.

Prosecutors also handed the media copies of court filings illustrating point by point how the university students -- since dubbed "the Irvine 11" -- allegedly conspired to disrupt Ambassador Michael Oren's Feb. 8, 2010, speech at UCI, then cover it up afterward.

"They're caught red-handed," said Deputy Dist. Atty. Dan Wagner outside of the courtroom. "They very intentionally tried to shut down this meeting."

Prosecutors have charged eight former or current UCI students and three UC Riverside students with misdemeanor conspiracy to commit a crime and misdemeanor disruption of a meeting. Seven of the 11, who are in their late teens and early 20s, were in court Friday afternoon and pleaded not guilty. Attorneys pleaded not guilty on behalf of the other four.

Read the full report on the 'Irvine 11' here.

-- Joseph Serna, Daily Pilot / Times Community News

Photo: Mohamed Abdelgany, left, Khalid Akari, Shaheen Nassar and Hakim Kebir, four of 11 students in the case, are flanked by their attorneys at an arraignment hearing Friday. All pleaded not guilty. Credit: Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video