L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

California harbors damaged by tsunami to get federal aid, Obama declares

April 18, 2011 |  1:27 pm

President Obama has made federal disaster aid available to California communities that suffered damage in the March tsunami.

The tsunami caused an estimated $50 million damage, with the harbors in Santa Cruz and Crescent City being hardest hit.

In Santa Barbara, fierce waves turned the harbor into a tidal pool, sweeping away a barge that was used for the city's commercial fishing operation and nearly destroying a 200-ton crane barge that became unmoored in the tumult. In Ventura, a city sailing dock broke off and at least one boat was lost at sea, authorities said. In Morro Bay, a dock came loose in the waves.

California has already declared a disaster in several coastal counties, and the federal aid would come on top of that.

"Federal funding is available to the state and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency work and the repair or replacement of facilities damaged by the tsunami wave surge in Del Norte and Santa Cruz counties," the Federal Emergency Management Agency said in a statement.

RELATED:

Dramatic videos from California tsunami emerge

Santa Cruz harbor damage captured from many angles

California tsunami advisory ends, but wave danger still possible

-- Shelby Grad

Photo: Fishing boats crash into one another last month in the boat basin at Crescent City, Calif. as one of a series of tsunami surges slams into the harbor, breaking up docks and tearing loose boats. Credit: Jeff Barnard / Associated Press

Comments 

Advertisement










Video