L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Window washer electrocuted in Huntington Beach

March 29, 2011 | 10:04 am

Window A man washing windows at a Huntington Beach medical office building was electrocuted Tuesday morning when he accidentally touched overhead power lines with a metal pole, fire officials said.

The man was using a brush on a long extension pole with a water hose attachment to clean the windows of a three-story building on the 17700 block of Beach Boulevard about 6:30 a.m. Tuesday, officials said. He was trying to work around a tree when the pole came in contact with the power lines.

"It immediately electrocuted and killed him on the spot," said Jeff Lopez, deputy fire marshal for the Huntington Beach Fire Department.

Firefighters found the man's body on the sidewalk, his clothing burned.

His name was not released because his family had not yet been notified.

As a precaution, authorities briefly evacuated the building and cut off power to the surrounding area.

ALSO:

USC fraternity official 'appalled' by photos of couple having sex on rooftop

Crime alerts for Canoga Park, Cheviot Hills and 11 other L.A. neighborhoods

Glendale police cite more than 80 drivers for illegal texting, talking on cellphones

-- Tony Barboza

Photo: A Southern California Edison lineman lifts a window washer's metal pole and brush from a de-energized 12,000-volt electrical line. The window washer at Huntington Beach Hospital was electrocuted when the extension pole he was holding touched the wire. Credit: Don Bartletti / Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video