L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

UCLA student who made controversial video says she'll leave school

March 18, 2011 |  7:36 pm

The UCLA student who created a controversial video criticizing Asians announced late Friday that she would no longer attend UCLA because of death threats against her and “being ostracized from an entire community.”  In a statement released to the campus newspaper, Alexandra Wallace also apologized for what she said was her mistake in making the video and offending Asians.

“Especially in the wake of the ongoing disaster in Japan, I would do anything to take back my insensitive words. I could write apology letters all day and night, but I know they wouldn’t erase the video from your memory, nor would they act to reverse my inappropriate action,” her statement to the Daily Bruin said.

Wallace could not be reached for an interview about her withdrawal and her future plans.

UCLA spokesman Phil Hampton said he could not comment on her statement about leaving school.

The school had announced earlier in the day that it would not proceed with any investigation or disciplinary action against Wallace for the video in which she complained about Asian students' behavior and crudely mimicked Asian languages.

"While we were appalled and offended by the sentiments expressed in the video, we have uncovered no facts to lead us to believe the student code of conduct was violated. The campus has no intention of pursuing the matter further," Hampton said earlier Friday.

-- Larry Gordon

RELATED:

UCLA to take no action against student for controversial video

Comments 

Advertisement










Video