L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Tsunami: Santa Cruz braces for more damage

March 11, 2011 |  1:35 pm

Sct
Santa Cruz officials are bracing for more damage into the afternoon as high tide is expected to hit around 4 p.m.

As a precautionary measure, police have closed roads around the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, municipal wharf and yacht harbor, said Santa Cruz Police Department Deputy Chief Steve Clark.

Already, waves have "capsized several boats" at the yacht harbor, Clark said, and authorities expect more damage.

So far, no tsunami-related injuries have been reported in Santa Cruz.

Santa Cruz County spokesman Enrique Sahagun said the first waves reached land about 7:45 a.m. At Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor, the swells pushed and bumped boats together and broke some docks, but total damage is unknown thus far, Sahagun said.

"The water is pushing the boats together like a major car collision on Highway 405 or another big highway," he said.

RELATED:

Dramatic model of wave's path appears accurate

Evacuation leaves Crescent City a 'ghost town'

PHOTOS: Scenes from the earthquake in Japan

-- Shan Li

Photo: A boat is partially submerged in the harbor in Santa Cruz. Credit: Marcio Jose Sanchez

Comments 

Advertisement










Video