Lindsay Lohan won't be charged in alleged battery of Betty Ford worker
Riverside County prosecutors said they did not file battery charges against Lindsay Lohan over an altercation last year at the Betty Ford Center because they didn't not have enough evidence.
“We are not filing charges in the Lindsay Lohan case due to insufficient evidence," John Hall, a Riverside County district attorney spokesman said. “We have to believe we can prove a case beyond a reasonable doubt.”
The decision is a victory for Lohan, who is also facing felony grand theft charges for allegedly stealing a necklace from a Venice jewelry store.
Local police had told prosecutors they believed there was enough evidence to charge Lohan in the battery case.
But prosecutors spent several weeks conducting their own investigations and concluded the case should not be brought to court.
Palm Desert officers were called to the 74000 block of Daisy Lane at 1:03 a.m. Dec. 12 for a disturbance at a Betty Ford Center housing complex. A staffer at the substance abuse rehabilitation center, Dawn Holland, accused Lohan of battery. Because the charge is classified as a misdemeanor and officers did not witness anything, Lohan was not taken into custody.
But a law enforcement source said Holland’s flip-flops on her statement hurt prosecutors' ability to pursue a case
Holland’s testimony was first thrown into doubt after she was paid by a tabloid media site for items related to her version of events. She was subsequently fired by the Betty Ford Center for talking to the media. She then said she no longer wished to pursue the case against Lohan.
But shortly afterward she enlisted a Beverly Hills attorney who negotiated with Lohan’s associates over a possible civil settlement. That deal was never struck.
-- Richard Winton
Photo: Lindsay Lohan in Los Angeles court earlier this year. Credit: Los Angeles Times