Gas leak forces evacuation of high school in Santa Ana
A gas leak Wednesday at Century High School in Santa Ana forced the evacuation and suspension of classes for the day. No injuries were immediately reported, a school district spokeswoman said.
The leak was reported about 10 a.m., prompting officials to usher everyone out of the school at 1401 S. Grand Avenue, Santa Ana Unified School District spokeswoman Angela Burrell said. School district police and Santa Ana firefighters responded to the scene.
A backhoe operator caused the leak when he accidentally severed a two-inch plastic service line while working on an addition under construction at the school, Southern California Gas Co. spokeswoman Denise King.
Students who were able to walk home were dismissed for the day. Staff, special education students and other students waiting for rides were sent to Villa Fundamental Intermediate School about a block away at 1441 E. Chestnut Ave. to wait for their parents or guardians to arrive, Burrell said.
Gas company workers shut off the leak around noon, King said.
-- Nate Jackson