Gas leak closes Pasadena elementary school
Pasadena’s Willard Elementary School was closed Friday morning and parents were encouraged to pick up their children after officials discovered a significant gas leak in the basement area.
When school officials began arriving Friday morning, they noticed a “heavy odor of gas coming from the basement,” said Lisa Derderian, Pasadena Fire Department emergency coordinator.
Authorities were notified around 7:45 a.m., by which time about a third of the 750 students were already at the school, Derderian said. Students were sheltered in the cafeteria and library until parents could be notified to pick them up.
By 9 a.m., fewer than 100 students were at the campus and officials were considering relocating them to a middle school across the street.
Derderian said a utility company crew was working on the leak at the campus at 301 S. Madre Street. No injuries were reported.
-- Richard Winton