L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

British national found guilty in drug-fueled Tujunga slaughter [Updated]

A British national was found guilty Tuesday of two counts of murder for stabbing a woman 19 times and decapitating her boyfriend in what a jailhouse informant said was a drug-fueled, paranoid slaughter at a Tujunga condominium.

Jurors deliberated for about a week before returning the guilty verdicts against Neil Revill, 38, a small-time drug dealer, nearly a decade after the October 2001 killings of Arthur Davodian and Kimberly Crayton. 

Times' Data Desk: Mexico under siege: The drug war at our doorstep

[For the record at 1:37 p.m.: An earlier version of this post stated that Revill had been convicted of two counts of first-degree murder. He was was convicted of one count of first-degree murder in Crayton's death and one count of second-degree murder in the slaying of Davodian.]

Revill also was convicted of two counts of transporting controlled substances, but the jury deadlocked on a fifth charge of assault with a deadly weapon for an unrelated incident in which he was accused of threatening someone with a knife.

In the six-week trial, jurors heard from a jailhouse informant who testified that Revill confessed to him the grisly details of the killings in L.A. County Jail.

Prosecutors said the account was backed up by forensic DNA evidence, including a spot of Revill’s blood on the Crayton's 14-month-old daughter, who was at the scene but unharmed.

According to the informant, Revill, who was high on methamphetamines, suspected Davodian was trying to keep him in the home while Israeli organized crime figures were coming to kill him.

Revill appeared calm as he awaited the verdicts, nodding as jurors filed into their seats.

Emotions ran high among families in the audience. Davodian’s brother chewed on a bottle cap until it became a warped, unrecognizable piece of plastic. Another relative shredded the edges of a taped paper sign prohibiting cellphones in the courtroom.

“Justice has been served,” said Leontina, Davodian’s mother, as she left the courthouse.

“But it still doesn’t bring him back,” his sister Arlin said.

Revill’s attorney, Michael Crain, said outside court that he was disappointed by the verdict, and that he continued to believe his client was not responsible for the killings.

“There was a great deal of forensic evidence that someone else perpetrated this crime,” Crain said, citing DNA of an unknown male also found at the scene.

Deputy Dist. Atty. Phillip Stirling said the prosecution had successfully shown to jurors the unknown genetic material was “background DNA” that predated the murders.

“There’s no evidence anyone else was involved in the crime,” he said.

Revill is scheduled to be sentenced April 22. He faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.

ALSO:

Crime alerts for Carthay, Montecito Heights and 10 other L.A. neighborhoods

-- Victoria Kim

 
Comments () | Archives (4)

Either Britain should be covering his bill or he should be imprisoned there.

You think the UK is saying it was a miscarriage of justice and want him to to be tried in the UK, the same as the French are trying to do in Mexico?

This is total injustice. This man is innocent! The DA cut the jail informant a deal to give this information.They fed it to him.

Davodian was a bigtime drug dealer and a police informant with many many enemies and this uncoordinated and unmotivated man could not have killed two people and cut off the head of one of them.

This is insane!!!!!

Miss Understood. You simply don't understand. Conspiracy? Why? Neil is nobody. Why spend ten years concocting some elaborate scheme - thousands of pages of evidence plus phone records, DNA and blood tests to frame him and then settle for life rather than a death penalty? The DAs office is not short of work - and the win here really only has meaning to the victims families


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: