Two injured when blast lifts roof off San Diego County home
A San Diego County couple were being treated Wednesday for injuries they suffered when an explosion lifted the roof off their home.
Lorraine Craighead and Roger Spillman were at their Julian home on Salton Vista Drive near Dolores Drive just after 6 p.m. Tuesday when the explosion occurred. Fire and sheriff’s officials believe that gas leaking during the installation of a clothes dryer may have caused the blast.
It could be felt by neighbors as far as two blocks away, authorities said.
Craighead and Spillman, both in their 60s, were airlifted to a hospital, according to the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department.
Spillman suffered severe burns and Craighead was injured by collapsing debris, officials said. There was no word on their condition Wednesday morning.
The couple’s small cabin was so badly damaged it will have to be bulldozed, fire officials said.
-- Nate Jackson