L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

CHP in Orange County cracks down on drivers violating hands-free cellphone law

An aggressive Orange County crackdown on motorists violating California’s hands-free cellphone law ends Thursday, officers said. From Tuesday to Thursday, the California Highway Patrol has engaged in a tactical enforcement campaign to cite motorists and spread awareness about the dangers of illegal cellphone use while driving.

CHP officers in Santa Ana, San Juan Capistrano and Westminster have joined forces to seek out drivers violating the law that requires the use of headsets or hands-free devices while talking on a cellphone. Texting while driving is also banned under a 2008 law, said Officer Denise Quesada, a CHP spokeswoman.

Similar enforcements are taking place this week in the CHP’s Valley Division in and around Sacramento. The CHP’s Border Division, which includes Orange and San Diego counties, is the only other division of the CHP participating in the enforcement blitz, Quesada said.

According to the CHP, cellphone use is the No. 1 reason for driver inattention stated on collision reports.

In 2010, the Orange County CHP cited 11,367 drivers for failing to use hands-free devices and drivers under 18 using any kind of cellphone, CHP records show.

The CHP also issued 397 texting-while-driving citations in Orange County last year. The base fine for the  cellphone violation is $20 and $50 for each subsequent conviction, Quesada said. Courts also tack on penalty assessments and administrative fees, causing the total fee to rise, Quesada said.

A press conference will be held Tuesday at the Orange County CHP Communications Center. 6681 Marine Way, Irvine, officials said. All participating agencies will be present and collected statistics about the crackdown will be released at that time.

Similar enforcement tactics will occur statewide in April, which is designated as National Distracted Driving Awareness Month.

ALSO:

Drunk man who lost child will spend year in jail

Remains recovered of soldier missing from World War II

Coliseum Commission president withdraws support for giant rave

-- Nate Jackson

 
Comments () | Archives (4)

It's about time someone started enforcing the hands free law! I ride a motorcycle and the most dangerous drivers out there are the one's on their phones. Believe me there are a lot of them out there doing it. I see them every day.

They should make the penalties the same as drunk driving. After all, they have done studies that shows that driving while texting actually impairs the driver more than if they were driving drunk!

Put the phone away and drive your car! You are not that important and neither is your call or text message. You can do that later.

More power to the CHP. They and local police need to crack down on cell phone-using drivers in L.A. County as well.

The problem is clear to me: Orange County has too many cell phone dispensaries.

I believe that there should be an immediate moratorium imposed on these rapidly expanding, dangerous, and profiteering enterprises at once.

This is just despicable.

The fine is too low. Make it $250.00 plus tack ons for the first offense, $350 for the second, and then license suspension for the third and see what happens. Remember, having a license to drive is a privilege, not a right.


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: