No charges to be filed today in jewelry theft case linked to Lindsay Lohan
Prosecutors in Los Angeles said that no charges would be filed on Monday against actress Lindsay Lohan in connection with the disappearance of a $2,500 necklace from a Venice jewelry store.
It was not immediately clear if or when prosecutors, who have been presented a case by the Los Angeles Police Department, would move forward with criminal charges.
If Lohan is charged in the case, it would be the most serious criminal count to date for the actress, who has made headlines for drunk driving and stints in rehab.
Attorney Dmitry Gorin, a former prosecutor, said a suspect in such a case could face felony grand theft and second-degree burglary charges.
A conviction can result in probation or jail time. It could also be deemed a violation of her probation for a 2007 driving-under-the-influence conviction.
In addition to her probation, Lohan faces a criminal investigation in Riverside County involving allegations that she shoved a worker at the Betty Ford Center.
Referring to the necklace case, Lohan's attorney, Shawn Chapman Holley, released a statement over the weekend saying, "We vehemently deny these allegations."
Last week, police detectives presented the results of their investigation into the alleged theft to prosecutors. Detectives investigated whether Lohan stole a "one-of-a-kind" necklace that went missing last month from a Venice jewelry store not far from where she lives.
The piece, described as a gold necklace with semiprecious stones, disappeared Jan. 22 from the store in the 1300 block of Abbot Kinney Boulevard, and police began investigating a few days later. According to law enforcement sources, Lohan was seen in a store security video wearing the necklace before it was reported missing.
After detectives began looking into the case and preparing a search warrant, a Lohan associate took the necklace to the Pacific Division police station, sources said.
-- Andrew Blankstein and Richard Winton