L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Coliseum Commission president withdraws support for giant rave

February 10, 2011 | 10:32 am

Support for bringing back the giant Electric Daisy Carnival for another year is dwindling after reports by The Times that an administrator for the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission was also working for the producer of the event.

Commission President David Israel on Wednesday said he no longer supports bringing back the giant rave, which was criticized by many because of the high number of drug overdoses, arrests and the death of a teenage girl.

Two investigations were launched Wednesday after The Times reported Todd DeStefano's simultaneous employment by the Coliseum and the producer, Insomniac Inc.

"The integrity of the Coliseum is not for sale by any commissioner or any member of the staff," said Israel, who had previously backed Insomniac's events.

Read more: "Rave support shrinks in light of Coliseum official's alleged conflict of interest"

RELATED:

Rave controversy spills into Los Angeles City Council race

DA and FPPC launch investigations into Coliseum official's employment

Public health flier warning of dangers of Ecstasy at raves to be revised

-- Andrew Blankstein, Rong-Gong Lin II, and Paul Pringle

Comments 

Advertisement










Video