Alarcon sets fundraiser for state Assembly bid
Los Angeles City Councilman Richard Alarcon has spent much of the last year fending off a grand jury indictment that accuses him of perjury and voter fraud. But that hasn’t slowed down his campaign plans.
Alarcon has begun sending out invitations for a campaign fundraiser in Sacramento -- this time for his 2012 bid for a state Assembly seat. Invites for the March 14 event, sent out by Alarcon campaign fundraiser Dwight Buchanan, calls for donors at $1,000 and sponsors at $3,900.
Alarcon won that San Fernando Valley seat in 2006 but abandoned it months later after winning his old council seat. He was not available Tuesday to discuss the fundraiser, said spokeswoman Becca Doten.
The 24-count indictment alleges that Alarcon and his wife lied about living at their Panorama City address, which is located in his 7th Council District. Candidates for City Council must live in the district they seek to represent.
Eighteen of the charges were filed against Alarcon, including two felony counts of filing a false declaration of candidacy. The remaining six were filed against his wife. Both have pleaded not guilty.
The next court date for Alarcon is April 18. At that hearing, the judge will consider motions to dismiss the indictment, Alarcon attorney Fred Woocher said.
-- David Zahniser at Los Angeles City Hall
Photo: Councilman Richard Alarcon Credit: Gary Friedman / Los Angeles Times