L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

2 women found dead of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning

January 1, 2011 |  9:15 pm

Two women were found dead in their Willowbrook home Saturday afternoon after accidentally inhaling carbon monoxide from an oven they may have been using to stay warm, police said.

Doris Hopson, 81, and her daughter Yvonne Hopson, 62, were discovered about 4:30 p.m. when the younger Hopson’s daughter went to check on them at their house in the 2200 block of El Segundo Boulevard, said Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Lt. Michael Thatcher.

She found the bodies of her mother and grandmother, as well as an open oven door and the smell of gas, police said. She closed the oven door, ran out of the house and called deputies, who determined that the home was filled with carbon monoxide.

“Whether they were using the oven to heat the residence or supplement the heat, I’m not sure,” Thatcher said.

ALSO:

Charter schools' choices: Good food, free food, no food

Suspect in six robberies is arrested at San Ysidro border crossing

--Christopher Goffard

Comments 

Advertisement










Video