L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Suspect in videos of disabled women being sexually abused is arrested in Hollywood, authorities say

January 9, 2011 | 12:26 am

Suspects

Los Angeles County sheriff’s detectives said late Saturday that they have arrested one man -- and located a second in state prison -- believed to be part of a group who allegedly filmed and sexually assaulted severely disabled women.

Sheriff's officials released still images and composite drawings of at least eight men suspected in attacks on 10 of the disabled women in hopes of identifying those who carried out the assaults.

Ernie Lloyd, 27, of Los Angeles was arrested Saturday after he turned himself in to Los Angeles police in Hollywood after telling them he knew he was wanted, said Sheriff's Capt. Mike Parker. Lloyd is the same man described as "Suspect #1" in images released Thursday by the sheriff's department.

"On Saturday morning, suspect Lloyd arrived at the Hollywood Station of the Los Angeles Police Department, saying he had seen himself on the news and that he knew he was wanted," Parker said in a statement. " The LAPD contacted detectives with the sheriff's Special Victims Bureau.

Lloyd is being held in lieu of $100,000 bail after being arrested on suspicion of rape of a person with disabilities.

Bert Hicks of Los Angeles, who is currently serving a sentence in Tehachapi State Prison until 2012, was identified by an LAPD detective who handled a previous case in which he was convicted of lewd and lascivious acts on a dependent adult. Sheriff's officials say he is suspect #4 in the images they released last week.

The sheriff’s investigation began in March when a package was mysteriously left at sheriff’s headquarters with 100 hours of video footage showing severely disabled women, many in diapers, being sexually assaulted by anonymous men.

The attacks on the women, ages 20 to 40, appeared to have taken place at residential care centers from 2007 to 2009, authorities said, and most of the attackers are believed to be employees.

Although authorities were confident the scenes were shot in residential care facilities, it was unclear if they were in Los Angeles County. Much of the footage is so grainy that only the faces of four of the estimated 10 men could be seen.

Although sheriff's officials cautioned that they are in the early stages of their investigation, Parker said they believe the assault allegedly involving Lloyd took place at a Los Angeles facility.

RELATED:

Video shows men sexually assaulting women

Detectives seek suspects who abused disabled women

2 men identified in video showing sexual assaults of disabled women

--Andrew Blankstein

Photo Credit: L.A. County Sheriff's Dept.

Comments 

Advertisement










Video