L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Metrolink advises Antelope Valley passengers to take buses after deadly accident

January 18, 2011 |  9:44 pm

Metrolink passengers using the Antelope Valley line 223 were advised Tuesday night to take buses from Union Station after a transit agency train struck and killed a 19-year-old man.

The transit agency said passengers could catch the buses near the bus plaza on Vignes Street.

The man was hit by a commuter train shortly after 8 p.m. near the intersection of Pierce Street and San Fernando Road in Sylmar, said Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Cecil Manresa. Several buses had been sent to the scene to ferry passengers.

Between 1993 and September 2008, the most recent period analyzed by The Times, three accidents were reported at that intersection, none involving injuries or deaths. A block north, where train tracks cross Van Nuys Boulevard, eight accidents resulting in five deaths and one injury were reported during the same time period.

RELATED:

Interactive map: Death on the rails

Metrolink train fatally strikes pedestrian in Encino

-- Andrew Blankstein and Robert J. Lopez

Comments 

Advertisement










Video