L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Facebook brings new clues in mysterious 1968 'Jane Doe' slaying in Huntington Beach

Jane Doe in 1968It's been more than 42 years since a woman who came to be known as "Jane Doe" was found face down in a Huntington Beach ditch, her throat slashed. She has never been identified, her killer never found.

After reopening the mystery several times, police have now turned to Facebook in an effort to put a name to the woman’s face. And now, after recently posting photos linked to the March 14, 1968 slaying, detectives say they have new leads in their effort to identify the young victim and have been able to eliminate evidence that was previously thought to be linked to the case.

"We have some workable clues," said Lt. Russell Reinhart, a spokesman for the Huntington Beach Police Department.

Police posted a composite drawing of the woman, photos of a white purse, matching wallet and seven photographs. The purse and wallet were discovered shortly after the victim's body was found, and police thought the items might be related to the slaying.

The department have received between 50 and 60 phone calls since Tuesday, dozens of e-mails, tweets and 16 comments on its Facebook page.

"We talked to the people who were actually in the pictures," said Reinhart. He said after years of speculation, detectives now know that the purse and photographs were false leads -- unrelated to the woman’s discarded body.

The woman was found in a field near Newland Street and Yorktown Avenue. She was white or Latina, about 5 feet 4 inches tall, 20 to 25 years old and had dark, shoulder-length hair. She was found by a group of children playing in a field.

About 30 minutes after the body was found, two boys playing nearly in an oil field near Huntington Street and Utica Avenue found a white purse with a matching wallet. Inside were six black-and-white wallet-sized photos, including one of a young boy wearing a cowboy hat, crying.

Reinhart said the department will be using Facebook and other social media in other cold cases in the future. Anyone with information is asked to call Det. Mike Reilly at (714) 536-5940.

RELATED:

Huntington Beach police use Facebook in hopes of solving 1968 slaying

--Nicole Santa Cruz

Image: Huntington Beach Police Department

 
Comments () | Archives (8)

Finally Facebook is of some use!

The title to the article is mis-leading, and the text poorly written.

I'll pray that the investigators are doing a better job, at their jobs.

To Tom Halley:
The "title" that you referred to is actually a "headline." "Misleading" doesn't require a hyphen. Your second sentence didn't require a comma.

You are no expert on writing and are obviously not qualified to comment on others' writing. The story and headline were fine. I, and am sure most people, understood it perfectly. You are the oddball.

Did the police department open its own Facebook account to post this evidence? Although it might be an effective new tool to aid law enforcement efforts, it seems strange to me. Always sad reading about cold case investigations.

Oh, "Tim"!

Nice to have you chime in on me and my opinions, not on the article we were supposed to be discussing. That's just so refreshing!

This is not written in American English -- British English is my guess, and my guess (since it has no by-line) is that it was written off-shore. Another American job out-sourced.

I love the fact that you will attack me and my opinions, but not take responsibility by writing under your real name. You're the man!

Tom

I'm encouraged that HBPD has not forgotten this unfortunate victim. Also, the article does have a byline: Nicole Santa Cruz.

Tom,

It clearly credits at the bottom of the article Nicole Santa Cruz as the reporter.

Back on topic however, I hope they are able to at least find out who this woman is. It is disturbing someone can die and no one else has any idea where they went - or does not even bother to look.

Tom Halley:

Nicole Santa Cruz wrote this blog entry. Did you even bother to look at the bottom?


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: