L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Glendale settles lawsuit with man wrongly detained for 8 months

January 17, 2011 |  6:02 pm

Glendale has agreed to pay $1.7 million to a man who was wrongly detained for eight months as part of a murder investigation, city officials said Monday.

The settlement with Edmond Ovasapyan, finalized Friday, ends a long-standing lawsuit against the city and includes a $1.31-million judgment awarded by a jury and the majority of legal fees he incurred.

“We would have obviously wanted a different outcome,” City Atty. Scott Howard said. “The matter is now concluded and everyone hopes we can move on.”

A jury in February determined that Ovasapyan, of Sunland, had been wrongly imprisoned for eight months while the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office decided whether to move forward with charges against him in the 2005 shooting death of Glendale resident Christopher Shahanzari, 21.

Ovasapyan’s attorney, Mark Geragos, has criticized the city for drawing out the case, pointing out that the City Council rejected a previous $400,000 settlement offer. Howard has said the proposal came only days before the trial was scheduled to start.

Geragos could not be reached for comment Monday.

ALSO:

1968 murder mystery leads Huntington Beach police to New York

Woman at center of deadly Newport Beach crash was driving 90 mph

-- Melanie Hicken

Comments 

Advertisement










Video