Los Angeles D.A.: No decision on charges against Mel Gibson in domestic violence case
Los Angeles Dist. Atty. Steve Cooley said no decision had been made about whether to charge Mel Gibson in the domestic violence case involving his former girlfriend.
“Allegations of domestic violence involving Mel Gibson are actively under review by the district attorney’s office," Cooley said in a statement. "Information received will be taken into account in deciding whether or not to file charges. Any decisions made by the D.A.’s office in this case will be made public in a timely manner.”
Mel Gibson's attorney met with a prosecutor Tuesday to discuss whether charges would be filed in the domestic violence case against the actor.
L.A. County sheriff's investigators have spent months looking into whether Gibson struck ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva.
Officials have said that case is closely tied to another investigation into whether someone tried to extort money from Gibson.
Gibson and Grigorieva also are locked in a bitter custody dispute over their year-old daughter, Lucia.
The Los Angeles district attorney's office in October began considering whether to file charges related to an alleged attack by the actor-director. But sources have told the Los Angeles Times that prosecutors won't make a decision on the case until the Sheriff's Department has finished its inquiry into claims that Grigorieva or someone close to her attempted to extort money from Gibson.
The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the case was ongoing, said the cases were intertwined.
Many of the questions center on the leaking of recordings of Gibson using a racial slur and abusive language during several telephone calls with his former girlfriend.
News of the meeting Tuesday was first reported by Radar Online.
-- Richard Winton
Photo: Mel Gibson and Oksana Grigorieva in 2010. Credit: Jacques Brinon / Associated Press