L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Orange County plastic surgeon to surrender license after sexual misconduct accusations

Dr. Mark A. Knight, an Orange County-based plastic surgeon under investigation by the Medical Board of California for sexual misconduct, has agreed to surrender his medical license Dec. 15, according to court papers filed Thursday.

An accusation was filed against Knight with the medical board in April for sexual misconduct, abuse, negligence, dishonest or corrupt acts and failure to maintain medical records.

According to the accusation, Knight massaged and kissed a 36-year old female patient during a post-operative exam in November 2007 and had sex in January 2009 with a 32-year-old tummy tuck patient. The patient’s husband walked in on Knight while the two were having sex on an exam table, the accusation said.

On Nov. 15, Knight and his Los Angeles-based attorney, Peter R. Osinoff, submitted legal paperwork to an administrative law judge agreeing to surrender his license. The medical board approved the license surrender on Thursday, according to court records.

Knight has been co-owner of Anaheim Hills Surgery Center, where he took over a penile enhancement business after another doctor at the facility surrendered his license earlier this year to resolve medical board accusations of negligence and incompetence. He did not return calls to the surgery center Thursday.

Osinoff did not return calls from The Times on Thursday.

In the last three years, lawsuits have been filed against Knight by the families of two patients, both women who died of blood clots following cosmetic surgeries performed by him at other Orange County facilities. One suit is in arbitration, the other was dismissed.

Under California law, surgery centers like Anaheim Hills that are owned in part by a doctor are not state licensed, and do not have to be state certified unless they accept federal health insurance (Anaheim Hills does not).

However, they must be accredited by one of four private groups. Anaheim Hills has been accredited by the Joint Commission. It was unclear Thursday whether the surgery center’s remaining owner, registered nurse Gustavo Gutierrez, would apply for a license or find another doctor to share ownership.

Gutierrez did not return calls late Thursday.

The Times wrote about Anaheim Hills Surgery Center last month in an article that examined lax regulation of surgery centers. Knight is the third doctor affiliated with the center to surrender his medical license since September 2009.

A fourth surgeon, Dr. Lawrence Hansen, 85, has a pending medical board accusation related to his alleged mishandling of a 2008 vaginoplasty that left a 39-year old mother of five dead from what coroner's officials determined was an accidental puncture wound.

Related:

Plastic surgery centers that fail state standards still allowed to accept patients

-- Molly Hennessy-Fiske

 

 
Comments () | Archives (12)

They have an 85 year old surgeon on staff as well??

What a complete racket this place was.

""The patient’s husband walked in on Knight while the two were having sex on an exam table, the accusation said""

Ever heard of a door lock?

Apparently he took the Hypocritic Oath.

"A fourth surgeon, Dr. Lawrence Hansen, 85, has a pending medical board accusation related to his alleged mishandling of a 2008 vaginoplasty that left a 39-year old mother of five dead from what coroner's officials determined was an accidental puncture wound."

I surgeon needs steady hands. The Medical Licensing Board should require a yearly practical test after age X to certify a surgeon is physically as well as mentally capable of performing surgery.

It's hard to decide who's worse, the creepy doctor or the pathetic women who go in for a tummy tuck at age 32 and vagina plastic surgery.

So, you didn't show his picture why?

Damn that place is bad news.

"...had sex in January 2009 with a 32-year-old tummy tuck patient. The patient’s husband walked in on Knight while the two were having sex on an exam table..."

Well if the husband was paying I hope he got a discount.

Thank you, Molly Hennesse-Fiske, for another insightful article regarding healthcare in California. I appreciate your endeavors on behalf of the public.

Surrender his license? This guy is a rapist and should be in prison. what am I missing here....

@ Keith Stover: How did you conclude the doctor is a rapist? I'm asking because I don't see the elements of rape articulated in any of the documents or pleadings.

Why do you assume rape? The sex was probably consensual; unethical yes, rape no.

85 years old why would the medical board even give a license to an 85 year old surgeon? What is happening in this world? I had a doctor hurt me once and I took my case to the local newspaper and when it went to press 35 people came forward to tell how he had harmed them also. He lost his license for life as he should have he killed 2 people one a little girl. He will never practice again. This doctor should go to jail fro sexual assault and made to register as a sex offender.I jsut can hardly believe things like this still happen.


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: