L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

More than 26,000 attend rave at L.A. Sports Arena

A massive rave at the Los Angles Sports Arena on Friday night drew more than 26,000 revelers, hundreds of police, more than two dozen fire and medical personnel and at least one Los Angeles County Coliseum commissioner.

The annual electronic music festival Together As One had been expected to draw 45,000, with 35,000 tickets sold, and was not scheduled to end until 2 a.m. Saturday, according to Los Angeles Police Capt. Melissa Zak.
 
No deaths or major injuries had been reported at the event as of 9 p.m., Zak said, and police had arrested three people, all on suspicion of possessing Ecstasy. Two of them were arrested as they attempted to sell drugs to an undercover police officer, Zak said.


Those attending the rave appeared to be making use of “amnesty boxes” near the entrances where they could dump illicit drugs before they were searched, Zak said.

Raves were banned at the arena and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in June after the overdose death of Sasha Rodriguez, 15, of Atwater Village. Coliseum commissioners voted to lift the ban in November, and soon after required rave promoters to petition for approval at least a month before an event.

The new rule did not apply to the New Year’s Eve rave, which had already been scheduled, but commissioners promised added safeguards to protect participants and the surrounding South Los Angeles neighborhood, including added security based on the size of the rave; added drug searches; stricter enforcement of age limits; and increased on-site emergency medical treatment.

The safety protections come in addition to measures that promoters already agreed to, which include hiring doctors and nurses to work on site, enforcing a minimum age of 18 and ending the events at 2 a.m.
 
Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky, who also serves on the Coliseum Commission, visited the rave for about an hour and a half and by 10 p.m. said he was impressed with the new safety measures.

“There certainly has been an intensification of personnel. They’ve confiscated a lot of drugs—they’re patting people down pretty thoroughly,” Yaroslavsky said. “This isn’t my kind of music, but the crowd is very well-behaved—at this stage of the evening at least.”

About 350 police and 26 Los Angeles fire and associated medical personnel circulated at the rave late Friday, Zak said. As of 9 p.m., only a few revelers had been transported for medical treatment, but Zak said it was too early to tell whether the new rules had had an effect.

“What we’re hoping is by raising the age to 18, plus the amnesty boxes, we are reducing the number of transports,” Zak said.

--Molly Hennessy-Fiske
 
Comments () | Archives (9)

gasp! a rave in los angeles!! heavens to betsy, whatever will the city do?

i'm sure there will be an accompanying story on how many arrests, emergency responses, and hospitalizations there were tonight for alcohol-related new year's eve celebrations.

what a wast of tax money

seems a bit draconian
seems like everyone will just do the e before going inside
good job lapd, arresting 3 whole people
whats the law like on e possession/"trafficking"? i dont even know.

And I said that the LA Sports Arena was worthless and should be razed . . . boy was I wrong. ;)

LA Times needs to stop dwelling on the whole rave and drugs issue. 17 out of close to 40,000 is not a substantial percentage, especially when they have not released the reasons for the medical transportations. However, as an attendee of this event I have to say that Together as One was one of, if not the, most poorly organized event I have ever been to. There is absolutely no way that security personell were increased for this event in any way, in fact I would say they had been reduced from previous, less attended Insomniac new year's eve parties. The two entrances had 5 ticket takers each dealing with a crowd of about 5,000 people trying to get in at any hour. There was no line just a cluster of people pushing, shoving and trampling. Once inside good luck trying to get anywhere without standing in another 2 hour line.

first of all one would think that after 13 years of organizing raves they woulld have learned from there previous mistakes. i attended the event and was extremly disapointed with the security measeures put in place. i waited in a none moving line for about an hour. they had 16 enternces at edc for 90thousand poeple and only 2 for 40 thoousand last night. the security needs to be better prepare and the organizerz should take there foot off there ass and learn how to deal with crowds i offer my serivses if they dont know how to do it. other than that the music was amazing after going through hell it all ended in an amzing culmination of one of my favoorite raves of the year. bettre organization is all that is needed.

"The annual electronic music festival Together As One had been expected to draw 45,000, with 35,000 tickets sold, and was not scheduled to end until 2 a.m. Saturday, according to Los Angeles Police Capt. Melissa Zak."

That's just what the promoter told the cops. They WISH they sold 45,000 tickets. Great job parroting the police and promoter just like a news organization is supposed to (not). Also, why is this even on LA Now again?

So you're saying around 10,000 people just didn't show up after they bought expensive tickets? 26,000 attended with 35,000 tickets sold?

I don't think so.

I really don't understand this report. Where is the fact checking.

i wasted 320total on tickets! Bought two fake tickets from a "promoter", then after I had to buy another two tickets from music rev...

The place was too packed, waiting in abunch of long ass lines..
I had a WAY better time at edc and there was a gazilion more ppl there then last night.

Go ventures just sucks at throwing events.... Imsoniac FTW!

seems like a positive article for once, i support.


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: