Former 'Bachelorette' contestant commits suicide
Julien Hug, a former contestant on the reality TV show "The Bachelorette," whose body was found in a remote area of Riverside County earlier this week, committed suicide, authorities said Friday.
Hug, 35, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to the Riverside County coroner’s office.
Sheriff's deputies found Hug’s body Wednesday on a mountain hillside in the Pinyon Hills area near California 74.
Authorities in San Diego had asked for assistance in their search after Hug was reported missing. Hug’s vehicle was found on a U.S. Forest Service access road, authorities said. His body was later found in a rugged hillside area.
Hug was the son of prominent San Diego restaurateur Bertrand Hug and appeared on "The Bachelorette" in 2009, vying for the affections of Jillian Harris.
In a written statement, Harris said Thursday, "I am completely heartbroken for the Hug family, and my whole heart goes out to them today as they mourn a precious life that ended far too soon. I will always remember Julien's gentle demeanor and kind heart, which will be sadly missed."
-- Abby Sewell