L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Failed electrical transformer blamed for Norwalk natural gas line fire

A faulty electrical transformer caused a wire to arc and burn through a natural gas pipe, sparking a fire in Norwalk on Wednesday afternoon that forced nine homes to be evacuated, according to the utility serving the area.

No injuries were reported in the blaze, which started shortly after 2 p.m in the 13300 block of Flatbush Avenue, the Los Angeles County Fire Department said.

The electrical transformer was on a pole and sent electricity to the grounding system wires on the street, which caused the electrical arc that burned through the 3/4-inch metal pipe, said Raul Gordillo, a spokesman with the Southern California Gas Co.

He said the problem was repaired shortly before 4 p.m.

-- Robert J. Lopez

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: