Hollywood hamburger stand owner paid $1.1 million to close her grill
There’s the $6 burger at Carl’s Jr. and the $12 one at downtown’s Pete’s Cafe. On Thursday, the owner of a Vine Street hamburger stand in Hollywood pulled a $1.1-million patty off her grill.
The Los Angeles Community Development Agency and Santa Monica-based developer Pacifica Ventures agreed to pay $400,000 and $700,000, respectively, to Kwok Yi to settle a dispute over closure of her 20-stool Molly’s Burgers to make way for a $57-million entertainment-oriented office tower at 1601 N. Vine St.
Yi must close her 81-year-old eatery in six months as part of the deal, said a spokeswoman for the redevelopment agency.
Previously, the agency had set aside $120,000 to relocate Molly’s, and developer Hal Katersky had offered Yi a ground-floor space at a reduced rent if she wanted to remain there.
Instead, she hired lawyer Robert P. Silverstein to negotiate for her. She plans to use the settlement to open a new burger stand elsewhere, the CRA spokeswoman said.
-– Bob Pool