L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Fire at Arlington Heights board-and-care home displaces 14

October 11, 2010 |  1:36 pm

Fourteen residents of an Arlington Heights board-and-care home were displaced Monday when a discarded cigarette butt set a pile of old mattresses outside of the building on fire, officials said.

The Los Angeles Fire Department was called out just after midnight Monday to the 1800 block of Arlington Avenue.

The fire was knocked out in minutes, but 14 residents had to be relocated, said Capt. Juan Albarran of the Fire Department. The residents are recovering addicts and people with minor psychological issues, officials said.

Albarran said he believed a lighted cigarette was thrown from one of the windows onto the heap of mattresses and furniture outside.

“Every resident there, with the exception of the manager, was a smoker,” Albarran said.

He estimated about $60,000 in damage to the old, Victorian-style, two-story center. No one was injured.

-- Robert Faturechi

Comments 

Advertisement










Video