L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Fertility doctor should have said 'no' to octuplets mother Nadya Suleman, expert says

An expert witness testified Monday that Nadya Suleman still has 29 frozen embryos.

Dr. Victor Fujimoto, a professor of reproductive science at UC San Francisco said Dr. Michael Kamrava deviated from the standard of care by failing to use those frozen embryos in 2008 and instead allowed Suleman to undergo fertility treatments to create new embryos, never referring her for mental health screening.

Suleman underwent 13 rounds of fertility treatments at a cost of about $18,000 each, Fujimoto said. He said frozen embryos would have cost a fifth of that.

"What's the point of freezing embryos if you're not going to use them?" Deputy Atty. Gen. Judith Alvarado asked.

"I'm not sure," Fujimoto answered.

Fujimoto deemed each round of fertility treatments an "extreme departure" from the accepted standard of care.

He said doctors can say "no" to patients "when it is beyond the reasonable standard of care which is established for that situation."

"You have to protect the patient from themselves?" Alvarado asked.

"Sometimes," Fujimoto said. "... more is not necessarily better."

Fujimoto said Suleman's medical records show Kamrava used 16 of her eggs to create 14 embryos and implanted her with a dozen of them on July 19, 2008, when she was 33 and already had six children, all through in vitro fertilization procedures with Kamrava. National guidelines would have required no more than two embryos to be implanted, ideally one, given Suleman's age and history of successful pregnancies.

"I cannot imagine any of my colleagues transferring that many," Fujimoto said of the embryos.

He said Suleman's medical records show Kamrava had recommended transferring four embryos, which was still too many.

Alvarado said it was unclear what would become of the frozen embryos.

"There's no legal guidelines or standards. She is free to use those," Alvarado said.

Alvarado said she does not plan to call Suleman or the other two patients named in the accusation as witnesses, although they may be called by Kamrava's attorney.

The hearing is expected to last at least a week and could determine whether Kamrava's medical license is suspended or revoked.

The Medical Board of California has accused Kamrava of gross negligence related to Suleman's case as well as two others: a 48-year-old woman who became pregnant with quadruplets and another woman who was diagnosed with advanced ovarian cancer after he allegedly ruled it out and gave her fertility treatments.

Alvarado said she does not plan to call additional witnesses. Kamrava's attorney said he plans to call at least two doctors, Dr. Tien C. Chiu, Suleman's previous fertility doctor, and Dr. Jeffrey Steinberg, who has fertility clinics in Los Angeles, Las Vegas and New York. Steinberg has publicly defended Kamrava and has been quoted as saying: "Who am I to say that six [children] are the limit? There are people who like to have big families."

Kamrava has already been expelled from the American Society of Reproductive Medicine for a pattern of behavior detrimental to the industry. He continues to practice in Beverly Hills.

Kamrava has remained largely silent since the birth of Suleman's octuplets but defended his actions in a "Nightline" interview last year. He said that Suleman's case "was done the right way ... under the circumstances."

-- Molly Hennessy-Fiske

 
Comments () | Archives (12)

Really...that's the determination years after the fact...these people are brilliant, so scholarly...

No kidding it was a bad idea...now what...NOTHING.....

Who's paying for all this? What's the total so far?

Oh. Em. Gee. This "doctor", together with Suleman, were incredibly ignorant to think all this would not come to light. Greed is a terrible thing. If nothing else, perhaps he will now be unable to harm anyone else and since her credibility is now officially shot, she should give up her quest to be a "stah".

Dr. Kamrava's medical license should be revoked.

WHO PAID???????????

I still find it disgusting here I am a single women age 34 who would love to have children for sure but for financial reasons would not put that burden on myself nor for society for my own selfish reasons. ye we are paying for her kids and her education not to mention the house that she now may loose? This makes me angry for sure!

$234,000 for the 13 fertility treatments? Who the h_ _ _ paid for that? Surely not an insurance company... And who paid for the delivery of the octuplets? This story is beyond belief.

Anyone remember the old saying at the full service gas stations?
"Fill 'er up!"

I can't help but wonder what exactly WAS her and the doctor's relationship???

He was blatantly irresponsible in this case.

I've experience the most pain ever using this doctor. I now know his practices were not right. The rooms he used for procedures were not sterile and he gave me and my egg donor Demerol or Valium when extracting eggs from our ovaries. TORTURE. We both screamed but he kept extracting from the ovaries. He wound up taking those eggs and without discussing it with me kept them in a dish to get stronger. I lost those 15 eggs from my donor and about $15 k. He deserves what he get (blastocysts). He is a monster in my opinion. My donor and I made a formal complaint.

Have Dr Kamraba pays for the children care up to age 21, instead of getting from social services.

Wow, this site actually censored a legitimate appropriately written comment regarding horrific medical negligence in the fertility field? Should've known better than to waste time on a Tribune site with an effort to educate and empower women. Don't usually read this site and won't again.

OMG! Here is a man with a God complex. I guess he thought she was a dog and a litter of 12 would be just fine. The jerk should be forced to take mental health classes AND have his license revoked.


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: