L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

10 students burned at Torrance high school when cooking device explodes

October 22, 2010 |  2:07 pm

Ten students at North High School in Torrance were injured on campus Friday when a portable cooking device they were using exploded.

The explosion occurred during a lunchtime fundraiser for UNICEF, said Tammy Khan, a spokeswoman for Torrance Unified School District. Students were cooking for the fundraiser when the accident occurred.

All 10 were taken to local hospitals.

The nature of their injuries are unclear, but some received burns to their necks, faces and hands. There was no immediate word on whether any students suffered life-threatening injuries.

-- Andrew Blankstein and Sam Quinones

Comments 

Advertisement










Video