L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

San Bruno authorities search for 2 people believed missing; PG&E says gas line was inspected last year

Investigators comb scene of fatal gas pipeline blastAuthorities are searching for two people who remain unaccounted for in the thunderous explosion that left four people dead in the San Francisco suburb of San Bruno, officials said Saturday.

Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) confirmed that authorities had received reports of two residents who have not yet been accounted for. Authorities were trying to determine whether the two were present at the scene when the explosion occurred or whether they were away.

Officials provided no additional information about the two people believed to be missing.

Meanwhile, officials of Pacific Gas & Electric Co., which owns the natural-gas pipeline suspected in Thursday's explosion, said the line had been inspected last year.

"We did the whole thing," said PG&E President Christopher Johns.

Residents said they had reported the smell of natural gas in the neighborhood in the days before the explosion. But Johns said the utility has so far found no record that anyone had complained about smelling gas in the San Bruno neighborhood.

The utility has already combed through two-thirds of the consumer calls between Sept. 1 and Sept. 9, the day of the blast, he said.

In addition, Johns said, there was no record of crews responding to the area.

The utility is now re-inspecting all three natural-gas transmission lines in the San Francisco peninsula, said Johns, who also toured the disaster site.

"It's heart-wrenching," Johns said.

The pipeline was installed in 1956, officials said. But even though the structure is more than 50 years old, experts said the critical issue was how it had been maintained.

"Just like with an old airplane, the key is maintenance," said Christopher Hart, vice chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board, who noted that lines of 50 years or more of age are not uncommon.

While the safety board's final report may take a year or more to complete, Hart said any findings that merit immediate action would be acted on.

"If we see things that need urgent attention, we're going to want to get our recommendations on that," Hart said.

Boxer said officials would push for "robust inspections" of natural-gas lines that pass through residential neighborhoods. The explosion, she said, raised a lot of safety questions.

"We can't wait until every single detail of what caused it" is revealed, Boxer said.

It is unlikely, city officials said, that residents would be allowed to return to their homes Saturday. Officials are still trying to ensure that the area is safe and that services are restored.

-- John Hoeffel

Photo: Workers look at section of gas pipe. L.A. Times

FULL COVERAGE

 
Comments () | Archives (7)

Given that PG&E knew about a problem for weeks, there should ABSOLUTELY be a criminal investigation into management's directives. If they had received complaints and didn't correct it for days (much less weeks), that's criminal negligence and manslaughter. Prison for a manager who did not respond is DEFINITELY warranted.

PG&E is the same company that spent about $45 million trying to pass Prop 16 a few months ago which would have made it more difficult for communities to establish their own public utilities. Prop 16 lost (barely), but I had wondered where they got the $45 million that they spent on misleading advertising. Suddenly, it becomes about as clear as a cloud of gas...

A pipeline not unlike the one that caused the tragic events in San Bruno runs along the Exposition corridor through a West Los Angeles neighborhood that strongly resembles the one where these victims live. The Expo corridor that this pipeline runs underneath is also the site of the proposed Blue Line or "subway to the sea." Transit AUTHORITY experts or spin doctors have thus far refused to acknowleged this danger but it might give local residents and potential riders pause.

Give me a break! PG&E is one of the worst companies in America. Jones should be tried for murder. Go after all these slimy lying CEOs. They are totally cookie cutter people - from the same mentality - greed, greed, greed. Today, the annual salary for the new president of GM (Government Motors) was revealed: 8 million a year. On your tax dollars. Revolt America and go after all these slimy CEOs and their "pimps" - the political hacks in Washington. Vote out all incumbents in November.

This is proof of the decline of the California Republic as we know it. As California goes, so goes the nation, maybe. We need greedy corporate entities to be less greedy and more responsive to the people who they serve. If this takes government supervision, so be it. Hopefully, corporations may change without government coercion, but I sort of doubt this.

PG&E needs to go back through phone records PRIOR TO Sept. 1 st. News accounts report citizens reporting the smell of natural gas as far back as three weeks ago!

to djblass

That pipeline has been ruptured during construction of the Expo rail.


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: