L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

2 lawsuits filed over molestation of boy, girl at new Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools complex

Two lawsuits -- one filed Thursday -- have resulted from the molestation of a boy and a girl attending kindergarten at the new Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools complex.

The entire complex, serving about 4,200 students, will open Monday, but two elementary schools opened last year on a portion of the site facing south on 8th Street. It was at one of these schools, the New Open World Academy, where the molestations occurred from September through November 2009, according to court documents.

The perpetrator was a student from Virgil Middle School who was allowed to help the victims' classroom teacher. On multiple occasions, the older student took a boy and girl from the kindergarten class into the bathroom, committed lewd acts and threatened the children if they told anyone, the lawsuit asserts.

The victimized boy finally told his parents, said attorney Claire Kim, who represents that child and his family. The girl's family filed suit in July.

The perpetrator admitted guilt when confronted and has been tried in the Juvenile Court system, according to the lawsuit. District officials said they have expelled the student. They also removed the teacher from the classroom but would not specify what further discipline the teacher faced.

Both victims have left the school, but other parents were never informed about what happened, Kim said.

District officials declined to respond to that allegation.

-- Howard Blume

 
Comments () | Archives (4)

Seems this young man should be thoroughly investigated. It's entirely possible his behavior has been taught to him by an older pedophile to which he has been victim to.

It's really disturbing to read he is a juvenile. Our society better keep an eye on this one.

He's already a pedophile. Keep him locked up and throw away the key.

Wait a minute: I thought that the Times was only laser focused on molestation claims from 30, 40 or 50 years ago by Catholic priests.

How did this incident--from a year ago--in one of our overpriced bloated governmnet schools make it into the paper?

The perpetrator was never mentioned as being a female or a male and yet all posts are assuming it was a male student.

Also, let this be a harsh lesson to new educators that the teacher is always responsible for the welfare of all students. Do not leave students unattended with helpers or aids who are not licensed educators approved by the school to be alone with students.

Anyone (male or female, young or old) could do something horrible and it is on the teacher's head.


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: