L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Supervisors demand answers on underreporting of child deaths

About 60 child deaths tied to abuse or neglect in confidential court filings by Los Angeles County child protective services workers are under review, and at least 22 had not been disclosed publicly, a potential violation of state law, according to an independent auditor.

Michael Gennaco, chief attorney for the Office of Independent Review, presented his findings Tuesday to the county Board of Supervisors. County officials initially said the 60 cases identified were in addition to 38 previously disclosed by the Department of Children and Family Services under a state law that went into effect in 2008.

Later in the day, officials pulled back from the figures, saying it was unclear exactly how many child deaths will be subject to public disclosure. The shifting numbers were another indication of county officials’ confusion about how many children have died of abuse or neglect after their families came under the scrutiny of child welfare workers.

Officials repeatedly referred to the 60 cases as new at Tuesday’s board meeting and Department of Children and Family Services Director Trish Ploehn never disputed that number. Nishish Bhatt, a department spokesman, could not immediately say how many cases had been identified.

The discrepancies were discovered by comparing the child death lists released by county officials to confidential court filings in cases where social workers had removed surviving siblings from homes where deaths occurred.

Supervisor Gloria Molina had asked for the independent inquiry after her colleague Zev Yaroslavsky questioned why officials had not listed the suicide of an 11-year-old Montebello boy who told authorities he planned to kill himself to end beatings and abuse. Ploehn, who took heavy breaths and was visibly uncomfortable under tough questioning by Yaroslavsky, said Tuesday that “there is no excuse” for the discrepancies.

Ploehn said that until last week she was unaware of the problem, which she attributed at least in part to a disconnect between two units of her department. Yaroslavsky, however, suggested that he has information that contradicts her assertion. “There are some reasons to believe that this is not just an accidental disconnect,” he said, declining to provide more detail.

-- Garrett Therolf

 
Comments () | Archives (2)

I just wonder how many more kids have to die before
the supervisors let Trish Ploehn go.

It is utterly inconceivable to any of us who have held leadership positions in child welfare organizations to believe Ploehn was unaware of this problem of tracking and reporting child deaths until last week. Where has she been? And how is it she fails to understand her most basic responsibilty in keeping children first and foremost safe? In child welfare, our collective focus must be on child safety and, when a child who has been brought to the attention of CPS officials (regardless of the reason) dies, those CPS officials in leadership positions, such as Ploehn, are obligated to ascertain what happened, how it happened and to determine whether those under her command could have done something, anything differently to prevent the catastrophic tragedy of that child's death. Board of Supervisors, I ask you again, how many more children need to die...just give us all a number...before you fire Ploehn and her "leadership" team and get professionals in there to clean up this mess? Just give us a number already. We're waiting....


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: