L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Homeless man who slashed women's throats gets life in prison

August 30, 2010 |  2:48 pm

A homeless man who went on a crime spree in downtown Long Beach that included brutally slashing two women's throats was sentenced Monday to 11 life terms and 433 years in prison, a prosecutor said.

Charles Juan Proctor, 45, was convicted earlier this month of 22 counts including attempted murder, kidnapping for robbery and mayhem.

Proctor was accused of robbing various Long Beach businesses, some near one another, for cash ranging from $35 to about $700, said Deputy Dist. Atty. Carol Rose, who prosecuted the case. In the process, Proctor threatened, slashed, stabbed or strangled six female shop owners or employees, who all survived, according to Rose.

The victims were of varying ages and race, and the attacks took place in clothing boutiques, beauty salons and bridal shops. Several of the crimes took place consecutive days in late April 2008. The crimes were linked to Proctor through DNA evidence he left behind on a cellphone case at one of the crime scenes, according to Rose.

The genetic material was matched to Proctor’s records in Nevada, where he had been arrested and convicted for assaulting a woman in a Hooter’s parking lot in Las Vegas in 2007 using a box cutter, Rose said. Victims spoke at Proctor’s sentencing, saying they continue to be haunted and traumatized by the attacks, Rose said. In the case of one woman, the prosecution alleged that Proctor left a quarter-inch-wide gash on her throat.

Although no weapon was recovered, the victims recounted feeling a knife or box-cutter-like instrument, Rose said. Proctor’s attorney did not immediately return a request for comment.

-- Victoria Kim

Comments 

Advertisement










Video