L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Suspect arrested after shooting closes I-10 in San Bernardino

August 14, 2010 |  9:20 pm

Police arrested a man Saturday after a car-to-car shooting that closed all westbound lanes of Interstate 10 in central San Bernardino for more than two hours.

Greg Gonzalez, 36, of San Bernardino was booked on charges of attempted murder for allegedly firing several shots at two men in a nearby car on the freeway, allegedly hitting the driver in the arm, according to a statement from the San Bernardino Police Department.

The driver, 22-year-old Charles Jenkins, lost control of his car, swerved across several lanes of the freeway and was struck by a tractor-trailer traveling in the same direction, authorities said. No one was injured in the crash, but Jenkins was taken to Loma Linda University Hospital for treatment of the gunshot wound. A passenger in Jenkins' car, 18-year-old Israel Scott, was uninjured although his clothes were grazed by a bullet, police said.

The incident occurred between the Tippecanoe and Waterman exits on the freeway.

The assailant drove away, police said. Investigators, acting on information they had received, arrested Gonzalez a few blocks from the freeway.

All four westbound lanes of I-10 were closed from 2:20 p.m. to 4:28 p.m., according to Officer Ryan Robbe of the California Highway Patrol, which assisted in the investigation. Robbe said no motive for the shooting had been established.

-- Mitchell Landsberg

Comments 

Advertisement










Video