L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

San Bernardino police arrest more than two dozen at rave

July 25, 2010 |  5:28 pm

San Bernardino police arrested more than two dozen partygoers at an all-night electronic music event that drew 25,000 people to the National Orange Show Events Center on Saturday night. Twenty-one people were arrested on suspicion of felony drug and other offenses, and several more were arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor crimes, police said.

Also, 15 people were hospitalized for non-life-threatening issues.

“Although there were still some issues to report, the number of problems is an improvement over past events of this nature,” the San Bernardino Police Department said in a written statement.

Electronic music fans flocked to the Audiotistic dance party to see popular performers including Kid Cudi, Bassnectar and Talib Kweli. The event ran from 6 p.m. Saturday to 4 a.m. Sunday morning.

The concert drew special attention in the wake of the suspected drug overdose death of a 15-year-old girl who attended the two-day Electric Daisy Carnival last month at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The festival, which drew an average of 80,000 to 100,000 attendees a day, led to more than 100 hospitalizations.

Insomniac Events, promoter of both the Electric Daisy Carnival and Audiotistic, this month announced a new 18-and-over policy for all of its events. The promoter agreed to reimburse the city of San Bernardino for police officers assigned to work the event.

Insomniac Events issued a news release Sunday stating that its 18-and-older policy was successfully enforced at Audiotistic.

"Audiotistic 2010 proves that Insomniac Events knows how to produce a safe and secure music festival and that an 18-and-older policy can be implemented successfully,” Pasquale Rotella, Insomniac’s chief executive, said in a statement.

-- Abby Sewell

Comments 

Advertisement










Video