L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

TV producer should waive extradition, face charges in Mexico, family of slain wife says

June 1, 2010 |  8:46 am
 

Prosecutors on Monday issued a warrant for Bruce Beresford- Redman, former producer of the "Survivor" reality show, in connection with the death of his wife. Beresford-Redman is back in Los Angeles and has denied killing his wife.

"If in fact he is innocent then he should have no problem waiving extradition proceedings and returning to Mexico to defend himself," Monica Beresford-Redman's family said in a statement. "However, if he is guilty, then shame on him for exploiting his children, he should have considered them before committing this senseless and brutal act of domestic violence upon their mother."

"The Burgos family is, of course, relieved to learn that a warrant has been issued for Bruce Beresford-Redman's arrest. And while we recognize that the extradition process may be take some time, we are elated that the process has finally begun," the statement said. "It has taken nearly two months, but we are hopeful that Monica will finally get the justice she deserves."

Francisco Antonio Alor Quezada, attorney general for the southern Mexican state of Quintana Roo, said a judge in Cancun had issued an "order of arrest" against Beresford-Redman, 39, in connection with the crime of "qualified homicide" in the death of his wife, Monica Beresford-Redman, 41, who apparently was strangled.


"The order of arrest is confirmed," Alor said in a telephone interview from Mexico.

Monica Beresford-Redman’s body was found April 8 in a septic tank at the luxury hotel where they were staying outside the resort of Cancun. Family members have said the couple had gone to Mexico in an effort to repair a marriage that had been fraying in recent months.

She died of "asphyxia by suffocation," Alor said.

In a statement issued Monday by his attorney, Richard G. Hirsch, Beresford-Redman said he was "incensed at the suggestion that I could have had anything to do with her death."

"I am innocent," he said in the statement. "My children have had one parent taken from them by a senseless act of violence. I implore the Mexican authorities not to take their remaining parent by a miscarriage of justice."

-- Patrick J. McDonnell and Shelby Grad

Photo: Bruce Beresford-Redman. Credit: Associated Press

Comments 

Advertisement










Video