Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

San Diego County man who died from bee stings suffered severe allergic reaction

The San Diego County man who collapsed Wednesday after being stung by hundreds of bees died as a result of a sudden onset of anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction, according to a report by the county medical examiner.

A contributing cause of death was arterial atherosclerosis, according to the report.

Marco Tulio Lazaro, 54, was clearing brush on his property in Encinitas with a backhoe when the equipment disturbed a bee hive. Lazaro ran toward an outhouse to escape the stinging bees but was found unconscious there by authorities who responded to an emergency call from his nephew.

Anaphylaxis causes severe shock in which the airways restrict. Death can occur within minutes unless the victim receives an injection of epinephrine, according to medical experts.

Nationwide, up to 1,500 persons a year die from anaphylaxis after severe reactions from foods, insect stings or other injuries.

-- Tony Perry in San Diego

Comments () | Archives (0)


Recommended on Facebook


In Case You Missed It...


About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.


Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: