L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Mexico begins extradition process for TV producer accused of killing wife

Mexican authorities have formally requested the extradition of a TV producer accused of killing his wife at a Cancun resort, beginning what could be a lengthy legal process in Los Angeles.

Monica Beresford-Redman's body was found April 8 in a septic tank at the luxury hotel where the couple was staying outside the resort in Cancun. Family members have said that she and her husband, reality TV producer Bruce Beresford-Redman, had gone to Mexico in an effort to reconcile their troubled marriage. Mexican officials said she died of "asphyxia by suffocation."

Last month, Mexican officials formally accused the producer of killing his wife. This week, authorities began the extradition process.

Legal experts said the process could include input from the U.S. Embassy in Mexico, the U.S. State Department and the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington and Los Angeles.

Beresford-Redman is entitled to fight extradition in federal court, the sources said. He would be entitled to bail, and to present evidence and call witnesses.

Monica Beresford-Redman's family said in a statement that if Beresford-Redford is innocent, "then he should have no problem waiving extradition proceedings and returning to Mexico to defend himself." But Beresford-Redman, who through his lawyer has proclaimed his innocence, is likely to take full advantage of the legal process.

Beresford-Redman has repeatedly denied that he had anything to do with his wife's death. He remains in Los Angeles this week and has not said whether he would fight extradition.

-- Shelby Grad and Andrew Blankstein

Photo: Bruce and Monica Beresford-Redman.

 
Comments () | Archives (1)


Thank goodness this monster is going to be arrested!! The "Issues" tv show on Headline News channel is saying they will have an update on it all tonight on the show. "Issues" is doing a great job covering this!


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: