L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Man who killed family members in Del Taco shooting left behind rambling letter

A 56-year-old man who went on a rampage in a San Bernardino Del Taco restaurant Saturday afternoon, killing his stepdaughter’s husband and one of her sons before killing himself, left behind a handwritten letter suggesting he had been prevented from seeing his grandchildren, San Bernardino police said.

The letter, apparently written by the gunman, Jimmy Schlager, made several lurid accusations against a family member that police quickly debunked.

Police investigators could not substantiate any of the allegations, said Sgt. Dave Dillon of the San Bernardino Police Department. Police are not using the letter in the investigation.

“It was a bunch of ramblings with different accusations,” Dillon. said “We cannot prove any of these things happened.”

Dillon said a motive for the killings was unclear. “There is no real answer at this point,” he said.

Schlager had a criminal record going back to the 1970s and was a convicted felon, Dillon said. Police are investigating how Schlager acquired the gun because convicted felons are not allowed to purchase or carry guns.

On Saturday afternoon, his stepdaughter, Roxanne Trujillo, 29, was eating at the restaurant with her husband, Alex, 33, and their two sons, Adrian and Ethan. Shortly after 1 p.m., Schlager walked in and opened fire, police said.

The woman’s husband died at the scene, and 6-year-old Adrian died a short time later. Schlager also died at the scene.

Relatives are trying to make sense of the killings, police said.

“This event has devastated the family’s lives,” said a family spokesperson. “They are still shocked, outraged and in denial that any of this is truly happening.”

-- My-Thuan Tran

 
Comments () | Archives (1)

well, now he will NEVER seee them! he's off to the big house! stupid is as stupid does


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: