L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Anaheim police investigate possible murder-suicide after 5-year-old calls 911 [Updated]

June 14, 2010 | 12:14 pm

Anaheim police are investigating a possible murder-suicide after a 5-year-old called 911 on a cellphone to report a shooting at his home Monday morning.

"We have two dead people," Anaheim police Sgt. Tim Schmidt said. "We think it's the mom and dad."

The 911 call was placed from a cellphone around 10:40 a.m. and reported a shooting at a house on the 500 block of North Fairhaven Street, Schmidt said.

Schmidt said investigators think the case involved a murder-suicide but stressed that the investigation is continuing.

The 5-year-old who placed the 911 call was not hurt. A 3-year-old, who also was unharmed, was found hiding inside the residence.

-- Andrew Blankstein

[Updated at 3:10 p.m.: Police say the 3-year-old was shot multiple times and is being treated at a hospital. He was found hiding near trash cans at the side of the house, Sgt. Tim Schmidt said. Police initially responded Sunday night to a call that shots had been fired but did not have a specific address and left the scene.

About 8 p.m. Sunday a passerby called police to report that he’d heard shots fired near Crescent Street and Fairhaven Avenue. A police officer responded but did not find anyone to direct him to the scene so he left the area and cleared the call, Schmidt said.

At 10:45 a.m. Monday a 5-year-old boy called 911 and said his father had killed his mother, Schmidt said. The boy said his father had shot at him but missed. He also said he had not been able to find his 3-year-old brother since the shooting, Schmidt said.

Officers went to the home – on North Fairhaven Street, about four houses from the intersection to which police had initially been called – and found the crime scene.

-- Paloma Esquivel from Orange County]

Comments 

Advertisement










Video