Schwarzenegger pulls support for new off-shore drilling
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, citing the damage caused to the environment by the massive oil spill in the Gulf Coast, said Monday he is yanking from his state budget plan any proposed new drilling off the coast of Santa Barbara.
The governor had been a proponent of the Tranquillon Ridge project, which he'd said could generate $140 million for the upcoming budget year to help prevent cutbacks in state parks. Despite the governor's support, the project has stalled amid opposition from lawmakers and the state Lands Commission, which has jurisdiction over such oil leases.
Schwarzenegger said Monday he will not include the project in his revised budget plan, to be unveiled May 14. He said the environmental risk is too great.
To read more on Schwarzenegger's decision, check out PolitiCal, the Times' blog on state politics.
Also, for continuing coverage of the gulf oil spill, follow the Times' environmental blog, Greenspace, which also has news on the governor's decision.
Photo: Oil platforms off Huntington Beach coast. Mark Boster / L.A. Times