Marion 'Suge' Knight held on $65,000 bail after arrest for alleged assault with a deadly weapon [Updated]
Former rap impresario Marion “Suge” Knight was being held Thursday on $65,000 bail after his arrest by the LAPD for alleged assault with a deadly weapon, police officials said.
Knight, 45, was behind the wheel of a white Cadillac Escalade when he was pulled over at 12:30 a.m. at 147th Street and Crenshaw Boulevard in Gardena.
Investigators said they began looking for Knight after another man accused him of robbery Wednesday night. The alleged altercation occurred in South Los Angeles.
Gardena police detained him and handed him over to the LAPD for arrest. In the course of their investigation, authorities learned he was driving with a suspended license and also arrested him on that charge.
Knight filed for bankruptcy in 2006, citing civil litigation against him. The following year, his Malibu mansion was put up for sale.
He was arrested in August 2008 in Las Vegas on charges of drug possession and aggravated assault.
In February 2009, he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery. His plea allowed the dismissal of two felony drug charges and one felony coercion charge stemming from the 2008 incident.
Last year, he was implicated in the robbery of a producer for R&B singer and rapper Akon.
-- Richard Winton and Ann M. Simmons
Photo: Marion 'Suge' Knight in 2003. Credit: Ken Hively / Los Angeles Times