L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Marion 'Suge' Knight being held on $65,000 bail for alleged assault

Sugeknight

Former rap impresario Marion "Suge” Knight was being held Thursday on $65,000 bail after the LAPD arrested him on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, police officials said.

Knight, 45, was driving a white Cadillac Escalade when he was pulled over at 12:30 a.m. at 147th Street and Crenshaw Boulevard in Gardena.

Investigators said they began looking for Knight after another man accused him of robbery Wednesday night. The alleged altercation occurred in South Los Angeles.

Rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight is placed in handcuffs after officers stopped him in Gardena.Gardena police detained him and handed him over to the LAPD for arrest.

In the course of their investigation, authorities learned he was driving with a suspended license and also arrested him on that charge.

The arrest was the latest in a long string of run-ins with police for the former head of Death Row records, the famed West Coast rap label.

In 1997, a judge sentenced Knight to nine years in prison for violating terms of probation from an earlier assault case.

He was released from prison in 2001 after serving less than five years but was sent back to jail in 2003 for violating parole when he hit a parking lot attendant.

Knight filed for bankruptcy in 2006, citing civil litigation against him. The following year, his Malibu mansion was put up for sale.

He was arrested in August 2008 in Las Vegas on charges of drug possession and aggravated assault. In February 2009, he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery. His plea allowed the dismissal of two felony drug charges and one felony coercion charge stemming from the 2008 incident.

Last year, he was implicated in the robbery of a producer for R&B singer and rapper Akon.

-- Richard Winton and Ann M. Simmons

Photo: Marion 'Suge' Knight in 2003. Credit: Ken Hively / Los Angeles Times; Knight this morning. KTLA News

 
Comments () | Archives (2)

such a loser

HE DID IT....


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: