Despite speculation, Corey Haim's death wasn't drug-related, coroner rules
Despite speculation that actor Corey Haim died of a drug overdose, an L.A. County coroner's office autopsy found that the former child actor died of pneumonia. Illegal drugs were not a factor, the coroner found.
"The toxicology report revealed no significant contributing factor," said the report, which also noted the 38-year-old actor had heart disease.
Haim, 38, was found unresponsive on March 11 at his mother's apartment. He later died at a hospital.
Los Angeles Police Department officials said his death appeared to be an accidental overdose. He had complained of flu-like symptoms before he died.
Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown has cited Haim's case as an example of problems with prescription drug abuse.
In the weeks before his death from a suspected accidental overdose, Haim went "doctor shopping" and obtained at least 553 pills of powerful prescription medications from seven doctors and as many different pharmacies, Brown said.
Brown said Haim visited physicians at offices, urgent-care facilities and emergency rooms to obtain the potentially deadly collection of pills and on one occasion used an alias.
Photo: Actor Corey Haim at a 2009 Hollywood fashion show. Credit: Getty Images