Boy impales himself on javelin at Pomona recreation center
A 15-year-old Pomona boy was recovering Monday morning after accidentally impaling himself on a javelin.
The accident occurred Sunday afternoon at Westmont Park Community Center on 9th Street in Pomona, The boy was apparently running around the center when he somehow ran into the javelin.
A witness told KTLA News that the javelin sliced into the side of his body and he fell to the floor in pain. He called for help and then pulled the javelin out of himself. The witness said the boy, whose name was not released by the Los Angeles County Fire Department, appeared to be in shock.
KCBS reported that a group of boys had found the javelin in some brush and were throwing it. The victim was running around the side of a building when he ran into it, a witness told the station.
The boy was listed in stable condition.
-- Shelby Grad