L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Arizona official suggests cutting off power to L.A. over boycott on illegal immigration crackdown

May 19, 2010 | 10:14 am

http://www.foxnews.com/images/525599/3_61_power_lines.jpgA member of an Arizona board that oversees utilities has suggested that they cut power transfers to Los Angeles because of the city's boycott in connection with the state's anti-immigration crackdown.

Gary Pierce, a member of the Arizona Corporate Commission, sent a letter to L.A. officials Tuesday discussing the possibility that Arizona cut power to L.A. from generators in that state. It's unclear whether Pierce's suggestion has any support from other members of the commission -- or whether such a cutoff is legally allowed.

"If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation," he wrote in the letter. "I am confident that Arizona’s utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands. If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona’s economy."

Pierce's letter is the latest chatter about some sort of Arizona backlash over the L.A. City Council's boycott vote last week.

Councilman Tom LaBonge told KNBC News that he met with Department of Water and Power officials about the letter on Wednesday. "We have right of ownership of the power plants," he told the station. "We partially own them."

-- Shelby Grad

Photo: AP

Comments 

Advertisement










Video