L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Police await toxicology results in Cancun homicide

Mexican prosecutors said they are awaiting the results of toxicology results before deciding whether to arrest a Hollywood producer whose wife was killed last week at a Cancun resort.

Monica Beresford-Redman, a Westside nightclub owner, died of strangulation but also suffered several blows to the head, authorities She died some time on April 5, and her husband reported her missing the next day. Her body was found Thursday, dumped in a sewer. Authorities reportedly don't believe she was killed there.

On Friday, Bruce Beresford-Redman, 38, who produced CBS' "Survivor" and MTV's "Pimp My Ride," was released by state police in Mexico after being questioned. He is barred from leaving Mexico until the investigation is completed.

He has denied any role in the slaying of his wife.

Prosecutors said the timeline the producer provided about his wife's disappearance appeared to clash with those of some witnesses. They described the producer as a "person of interest" in the case but said no decision about an arrest will be made until forensic tests are completed.

The couple had gone to Mexico for a romantic getaway that family members said was designed to revive a strained marriage. Guests at the Moon Palace Hotel in Cancun reported hearing a loud fight coming from the room the couple shared with their children.

His father, David Beresford-Redman, said in a statement that his son "loved [his wife] and would never have harmed her. He has our full support as we try to do what's best for him and our grandchildren so they can be reunited soon."

The statement continued: "We urge Mexican law enforcement authorities to identify those responsible for this horrendous crime."

Monica Beresford-Redman, a native of Brazil, owned the Zabumba Restaurant on Venice Boulevard near Overland Avenue.

-- Shelby Grad

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: