L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Mexican authorities complete interviews of workers, guests in slaying of producer's wife

Tribute

Mexican authorities said they have completed interviews with hotel workers at a Cancun resort where the wife of TV producer Bruce Beresford-Redman was found slain last week.

Prosecutors in Cancun would not reveal to Mexican media representatives the details of the interviews but said that those interviewed generally agreed on most details. Authorities have also interviewed some guests who reported said they saw the couple arguing shortly before Monica Beresford-Redman was reported missing.

Prosecutors said the timeline the producer provided about his wife's disappearance appeared to clash with those of some witnesses.

Bruce Beresford-Redman, a producer on CBS' "Survivor" and MTV's "Pimp My Ride," is considered a "person of interest" in his wife's death but has not been arrested. Mexican prosecutors said they were awaiting toxicology results before deciding whether to arrest him.

Monica Beresford-Redman, a Westside nightclub owner, was strangled to death and sustained  several blows to the head, authorities said. She died sometime on April 5, and her husband reported her missing the next day. Her body was found Thursday, dumped in a sewer. Authorities reportedly don't believe she was killed there.

On Friday, Beresford-Redman, 38, was released by state police in Mexico after being questioned. He is barred from leaving Mexico until the investigation is completed. He has denied any role in the slaying of his wife.

Family members said the couple had gone to Mexico for a romantic getaway intended to revive a strained marriage. Guests at the Moon Palace Hotel in Cancun reported hearing a loud fight coming from the room the couple shared with their children.

Bruce Beresford-Redman's father, David Beresford-Redman, said in a statement that his son "loved [his wife] and would never have harmed her. He has our full support as we try to do what's best for him and our grandchildren so they can be reunited soon."

The statement continued: "We urge Mexican law enforcement authorities to identify those responsible for this horrendous crime."

Monica Beresford-Redman, 41, a native of Brazil, owned the Zabumba Bar & Restaurant on Venice Boulevard near Overland Avenue.

-- Shelby Grad

Photo: Promoter John Smith stands near a sidewalk memorial to Monica Beresford-Redman, owner of Zabumba Bar & Restaurant on Venice Boulevard. Credit: Reed Saxon / Associated Press

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: