L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

California's monitoring of sex offenders needs fixes, report finds

http://www.sdnn.com/files/2010/03/amber-dubois-chelsea-king-400x2521.jpgCalifornia should improve its monitoring of sex offenders, rethink restrictions on where they live and find a better way to evaluate their likelihood of committing new crimes, according to a state panel that investigated the case of an ex-con who pleaded guilty to killing two San Diego County teenagers.

The report by the state’s California Sex Offender Management Board concluded that "it is unlikely that a parole revocation for living near a school would have changed the outcome of the crimes" committed by John Albert Gardner III.

"Residing close to a school has not been found by studies to be related to where sexual re-offense occurs," the report found. "At the time of Chelsea King’s rape and murder, for example, Gardner was living in Riverside County, but the crimes occurred in San Diego County, nowhere near his home."

Still, the board said Gardner’s parole conditions prohibited him from living near a school so he should have been required to move or face the possibility of having his parole revoked. 

The 31-year-old registered sex offender pleaded guilty April 16 to murdering Chelsea, 17, and Amber Dubois, 14, both during rape attempts. He had previously served five years in prison for beating and molesting a 13-year-old girl. The board report said electronic monitoring and lifetime supervision should be used for those judged to be exceptionally high-risk offenders, and state law should be changed to create "exclusion zones" prohibiting high-risk offenders from going into parks and other places where children congregate.

"There is no evidence that restricting where sex offenders live will prevent repeat sexual offending against children. In fact, residence restrictions could not have prevented the murder of Chelsea King," the report found.

--Patrick McGreevy in Sacramento

 
Comments () | Archives (5)

So now what? Just drop everything and let them roam as they choose? Why people like these let out of prison in the first place is beyond comprehension.

This is such a joke - what needs fixing in the fact that California and its slimy government is a total JOKE!

State employees are not over-paid clowns waiting for a balloon pension. They are truly committed.

I'll bet if they had not let this psychopath out to begin with, that THAT WOULD HAVE PREVENTED THE BURDER OF EACH OF THESE GIRLS!

The reason they can't keep a close eye on potential reoffenders is because they put way too many people on the sexual offenders registry in the first place. There are like 200,000 in CA alone. How the heck could parole and probation keep up with them all? Most sex offenders are on there for public urination, streaking in college, having oral or anal sex (a felony in all southern states), sexting, being 18 years old and having a 17 year old girlfriend, accidentally downloading child pornography on kazaa or limewire, or chatting with someone pretending to be a minor on the internet. These are examples of the majority of sexual offenders and it shows that they are almost all nonviolent, meaning that they did not harm anyone physically or emotionally. The registry should only have VIOLENT sexual offenders. These are rapists and real molesters who have an actual victim that they harmed. Stop messing with all sexual offenders. Most sexual offenders were nonviolent and have never hurt anyone a day in their life. Let them move on with their life and redeem themself and lead a healthy and productive life. An ms 13 gang member can do a drive by shooting and kill someone and get out in 10 years and he is perfectly free to live and walk anywhere he chooses but someeone who urinated in public 20 years ago cannot? That is absolutely ridiculous. We need to purge the registry of these nonviolent offenders and then we could really focus on the violent ones because they are they ones who always reoffend.


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: