Plea deals in works for defendants in 'bling ring' celebrity burglaries case
The district attorney’s office will offer plea deals to alleged members of the “bling ring," the circle of friends accused of burglarizing the homes of young Hollywood celebrities, a prosecutor said Wednesday.
Deputy Dist. Atty. Sarika Kapoor told a judge during a court appearance for five of the six defendants that she plans to present the offers at a hearing next month.
A sixth suspect is in plea talks, the prosecutor told another judge last week. Outside court, Kapoor declined to discuss the details of the possible plea deals, but she said making such offers was common in nonviolent and less serious cases.
The defendants, who have pleaded not guilty, are charged with first-degree residential burglary, a crime that carries a sentence of up to six years in prison.
Two are also charged with receiving stolen property.
Authorities blame the group for a string of burglaries that netted $3 million in designer clothing, jewelry, art and other goods from the residences of actors Megan Fox, Orlando Bloom, Rachel Bilson and others.
-- Harriet Ryan
More breaking news in L.A. Now: