L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Intruder breaks into L.A. Councilman Richard Alarcon's house again

March 12, 2010 |  9:47 am

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-01/51644064.jpgAn intruder has broken into the Panorama City home of Los Angeles City Councilman Richard Alarcon for the second time in six months.

Alarcon, who represents the northeast San Fernando Valley, told KABC-TV on Thursday night that the intruder was inside when he and his family tried enter the Nordhoff Street tract house.

“When I tried to enter the house, he was holding the door on the other side and he said, ‘No trespassing,'” Alarcon told the station.

The 1950s tract house is at the center of an investigation by Dist. Atty. Steve Cooley’s Public Integrity Unit, which is trying to determine whether Alarcon has been living outside of his district. Neighbors have told The Times that they rarely saw the councilman inside the house last year.

The home is owned by Alarcon’s wife, Flora Montes De Oca. Alarcon could not immediately be reached for comment. But he told The Times previously that he is following the law and meets the residency requirements for his office.

He also said that an intruder entered his home in October, changed the locks and damaged many of his family’s belongings.

Police said they arrested someone about 6:45 p.m. Thursday, but they would not confirm it occurred at Alarcon’s home.

Alarcon’s spokeswoman, Becca Doten, said Friday that police responded and apprehended the intruder, who was the same man who broke in last year.

“I knew instantly who it was,” Alarcon told KABC-TV.

-- David Zahniser at Los Angeles City Hall

Photo: L.A. Times file

Comments 

Advertisement










Video